Keilani Ludlow's Reviews > Prayers for Sale

Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas

U_50x66
Apr 08, 11

Read in March, 2011

I think this is my favorite of her books, but I'm not sure why. The main character is an elderly woman who befriends a very young woman who moves into the high mountain mining town. As she befriends the younger woman and helps her adjust to this new life, she tells stories of her past and stories of people she's known. I've never been a fan of short stories, there's never enough either to get me hooked or if I am hooked, then I'm disgusted when they end quickly, but this manner of short stories is nice, wrapped in a long story.

KEY INFO - DO NOT READ THIS BEFORE READING Diary of Mattie Spenser and the Chili Queen. There are spoilers in this book, continuations of the a character in each of the other books, that will be a bummer to know before reading them.

All of her books are historical in nature and I enjoy the history. Some of them I've loved and some I was a little entertained but felt like the characters were all people who were lightweight. There have also been references in some of the books to lifestyles or actions that I find to be undesirable. However, she writes a good story overall with real characters and most of the things that I find undesirable may not be so to another reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prayers for Sale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie You ain't never goin' take Cold Mountain!

message 2: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Schmidt It is one of mine too. I keep coming back to it. I give it out as gifts too. It is just such a nice story.