Limonessa's Reviews > Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: ebook, ya-lit, hot-musicians, swoooooon
Read from November 15 to 18, 2011

So Amy and Roger's Epic Detour wasn't all that epic after all.

It starts off with Amy, living in a house alone in California. Her mother has already moved to Connecticut, her twin brother is in rehab and her father recently died in a car crash. She is the last one left behind, the house is about to be sold and she has to get the family car, a Liberty, from California to Connecticut, where her mother has decided to move after her husband's death. That's when Roger enters the scene. Amy doesn't want to drive across America or anywhere else and Roger, a family friend's son who has to go visit his father in Philadelphia, has been designated her chaffeur for the trip. The route is set, Amy's mom has planned it and booked the hotels. But. Neither Amy nor Roger intend to follow the plan, each for his/her own motives. The trip will turn out as a sort of catharsis for both of them, the first little (or huge, since it's across America) step toward moving on with their lives.

It sounds all pretty good, except my feelings for this book are.... tepid, to say the least.
The first part of the book was very underwhelming, I even got bored a little bit. The story is highly predictable and that would be ok, if I had felt the characters to be more real.
My main problem was Amy. I didn't buy her virginal prudery to sleep in the same bed with Roger because she is, in fact, not a virgin. I didn't buy her grief, it somehow felt contrived to me, her choking up, her chin-trembling and her sunglasses problem.
Roger was, of course, just too good to be true and even his change of heart along the trip didn't exactly come out as natural.

Fortunately, the story picked up quite nicely in the second part of the book and I have to say I was really charmed by all the little notes, pictures and addition to the story (a bit à la The Sky is Everywhere). They give a little something to the narration and certainly make the long trip more interesting for the reader.
I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending, which was also slightly underwhelming.... again, I was to say tepid. It was way more feasible than if it had ended with an unrealistic declarations of undying love, but still. It ended quite abruptly in my opinion, I wanted to see the conflict between Amy and her mom developed more.

All in all, a decent read but, as far as these "grief" books go, that deal with the death of a loved one OR/AND trips across America, I've read better this year. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour kind of felt like Saving June's ugly cousin.

For this review and more check out The Nocturnal Library
39 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour.

11/16/2011
33.0% "A bit underwhelmed so far" 3 comments
11/17/2011
46.0% "These kids' livers must be the size of a football by now. They've eaten only junk food so far. I'm craving veggies for them."

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Will not read this! Ever. I have my own ugly cousins, thank you very much. I don't need June's as well.

♥Rachel♥ I'm sorry to hear this fell flat for you Lisa. I did like Saving June better than this too.

Maja, I hope your cousins don't have a Goodreads account. Lol! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Ah, no worries, Rachel. I have many, many cousins. Statistically speaking, quite a few of them have to be ugly. :D

Limonessa I was pretty disappointed Rachel, maybe if I had read this first... but still, it was enjoyable and those "extras" were very nice.

Maja, poor cousins!

♥Rachel♥ Too funny Maja! :)

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Awww sad face. I guess a novel sets itself up for high expectations when it includes Epic in the title... :/

Limonessa Shirley, you're so right!

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr See, if it was called "Amy & Roger's Tepid Tour" you would have been down with that

Limonessa LMAO. I am sure that title was considered. The main protagonist, aside from Amy and Roger, would have been the hot water bottle that would sit between them in bed, chastely dividing them and becoming progressively more and more tepid.

message 10: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Lisa, why aren't you an author???

Limonessa I know! Millions of copies would be sold about a hot water bottle!!

Nomes What a rather generous review ;)

As for me, this book really bored me to pieces. And I was (am) baffled as it came so highly regarded.

*high five*

(I think my 3 stars is generous too, it didn't annoy me, it just was entirely unepic...)

message 13: by Limonessa (last edited Nov 24, 2011 04:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Limonessa Nomes wrote: "What a rather generous review ;)

I agree Nomes. If it hadn't picked up in the second part , I wouldn't have given it 3 stars, but thank god it did and I quite liked it, starting from when they get to Hadley's house. You're right though, this book is overrated for me, too.

message 14: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr I have the trilogy for you to write Lisa:

Tepid (Hot Water Bottle Chronicle, #1)

Lukewarm (Hot Water Bottle Chronicle, #2)

Insipid (Hot Water Bottle Chronicle, #3)

I've self-appointed myself as your editor

Limonessa Awesome! All those who will be lucky enough to get the chance to purchase the boxed set of my upcoming trilogy, will receive this amazing gift:

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Ooooo what is it? *reaches out hand* Can I touch it?

I.... want to hug it

Limonessa As official editor, you will receive a free supply of hot/tepid water bottles and their fluffy covers for you and your whole family. Aren't you happy? :D

message 18: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr My dreams are complete. I can now stop my life's work.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I just unliked and liked this again. Because I felt like it. :D

Limonessa You MUST be bored :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) My god, they came THIS close to killing me. I almost fell asleep right then and there. Whoa. That would have been awkward.

Also, finished my audiobook while driving. Frankie sucks. And you lied.

Limonessa What do you mean I lied?!