Wendy's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

May 24, 13

bookshelves: 2011-reads, sci-fi, young-adult, timey-wimey, juvenile, 2013-reads, mystery-thriller-suspense, ebooks
Read in April, 2011

***Just did a re-read (third read) and still enjoyed it very much, though I'm not sure how I missed calling the central mystery the first time given how many clues there are scattered throughout the story! I decided it's because the book is so rich in details and character development and I was so wrapped up in Miranda's little world that I didn't stop to dissect what was really happening the first time around. Don't we tend to live that way too often?

Also decided why I like it so much is that it's a great mashup of some of my favorite types of books: sci-fi/young adult/mystery/coming of age/historical(ish) & new york setting... just really hits a lot of my sweet spots.***

4.5-ish

As soon as I finished reading this book, I went right back to the beginning and started over again. That's not something I usually do, but I really wanted to go back and see all the clues building up to the big finale. And really, in my second reading I noticed that there were a lot of things hinted at, not just the one main mystery.

I did have a few problems with some of the sci-fi aspects of the book...
(view spoiler)

I was also a bit worried about the book relying so much on inspiration from another book, namely A Wrinkle in Time. And I'm not sure why it had to be set in the 70s; I'm guessing this was the time the author grew up (probably also in the NY latchkey culture of the book). I guess it works for the game show part of the book, with the title chapters matching and all.

While I did have a few minor "hmm" moments with the book, overall I really enjoyed it. I liked Miranda and all the other characters, even though sometimes things got spread a bit thin trying to cover them all. While some things seemed like they could have been explained better, overall it all worked in the context of the story. And the main theme, I think, is not so much about any sci-fi ideas, but really about opening your eyes, or "lifting the veil" as the book would say, to see what's really going on in the world around you and with the people you love. And that's an idea that's not at all hard to understand or get behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

Quotes Wendy Liked

Rebecca Stead
“Well, it's simple to love someone," she said. "But it's hard to know when you need to say it out loud.”
Rebecca Stead, When You Reach Me
tags: love

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lidia ha ha I also gave it 4.5 but not ish. Just 4.5 stars... I really loved it... I'm glad Casey insisted I read it.