Supernatural Book Club's Reviews > Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman by Justin Gustainis

Apr 08, 11

When I read the title of this book I had my doubts "Black Magic Woman"? That's a pretty poor title for the book, and that picture on the front? After reading the book I still can't figure out who that is supposed to be. The title and picture did not accurately portray what the book was about, BUT I can get past that. The one thing that gave me hope that the book might not be so bad was the endorsement on the front by Jim Butcher, and reading in the acknowledgments section that Gustainis aspires to write books like Butcher's. Having read many of Butcher's books I'd say that this book is in a definitely similar style to Butcher's "The Dresden Files". And Mr. Gustainis is well on his way to his goal.

It offers mystery, intrigue, supernatural beings, all the things I love. There are also several different plot lines seen from the perspectives of several different characters in different settings. All the different plot lines are connected and tie together at the end. I think this element was what I liked best about the book, it was more complex in that regard then some of the books I've read lately. The one thing missing was romance, this book is really a supernatural detective novel. Not having romance wasn't a bad thing, but if that's what you're looking for, you might be disappointed.

Bottom line: An entertaining read, plenty of action and adventure. I would recommend it for fans of Jim Butcher and The Dresden Files.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Magic Woman.