Bryce's Reviews > The Black Swan

2205083
Apr 10, 2011

it was ok
Read from April 08 to 10, 2011

At nearly 30, I think I've finally outgrown Mercedes Lackey. I've been reading her since early adolesence; along with Anne McCaffrey, she was my introduction to fantasy.

But I've reached a point -- either as a reader in general or just as a reader of her books -- that I need a lot more. Not ever story needs a happy ending. Not every feisty and headstrong (and magical) young woman ends up with a man that can truly appreciate her. Not every villian is a paper-thin caricature.

The Black Swan is another typical Lackey novel, with all the elements listed above fully present. Also included is a reworking of a traditional fairy tale, another story element ML loves to use. The hero-prince is bad, for about eighty pages or so, but he reforms under his own volition to become the expected feisty-woman-appreciating saintly guy.

I suppose this book will join the dozen or so Mercedes Lackey paperbacks in my bookcases. I fear the day when I grow tired of Stephen King. When that happens, my bookshelves will just be a bunch of now unappreciated memories from my past, that I'm too sentimental to get rid of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Swan.