Josh's Reviews > The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean

The Wave by Susan Casey

M_50x66
Apr 08, 11

Read in April, 2011

After reading the intro and getting scared to death about being on a boat caught in a massive storm, i was frighted and excited to learn more about the processes that go into forming these freak swells. I was intrigued by how ms casey would tie the surfing pursuit of big waves with the science behind how waves work together. In the end i felt that it was a failed attempt. She should have just written a biography on laird hamilton as that is largely what i felt the book was. the science and discussion was poorly explored or explained and at times downright misleading. as a physicist i could tell that she did not pick up on the subtly of what many the scientists she interviewed told her. further, her narrative almost implied that the surfers understood the processes that the scientists studied better. At the end, i respect big wave surfers as i know a few, but it is not what interests me in surfing, so if the book had been advertised as being about big wave surfers i would not have picked it up. I picked it up as what promised to be a pop science exploration of ocean processes. I got a lot of what i was not interested in and a little of what i wanted to read about but poorly done. I feel that as a non-scientist she did not know how or what to write about in the science of waves that would be interesting, but had a contract to write the book so filled in the story by hanging out with the strapped crew. will not read again and would not really recommend unless you want to learn about laird hamilton and his quest to surf massive ocean waves. end of the day not a pop science book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anthony could not agree more! A very disappointing book.

Laurie I agree also. I had to stop reading it. If you can recommend a real book on wave science, let us know.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim Dittos

Josh Sorry for the long delay in responding. I am in the middle of writing up my thesis and have severely cutback/or forgotten about the interweb. From a very technical point of view I really like 'Vibrations and Waves in Physics' by Main. Though I think this will be a bit too technical and not what people are looking for. As to something a little more pop science/tales of nautical daring do I am really not sure what to recommend as this was my first foray into the genre.

Clare Entirely agree and surprised how many 5 star reviews this book got.