Sean's Reviews > As Used On the Famous Nelson Mandela: Underground Adventures in the Arms and Torture Trade

As Used On the Famous Nelson Mandela by Mark     Thomas

Apr 08, 2011

bookshelves: socio-cultural
Read in April, 2011

For those not in the know - Mark Thomas is a leftie comedian/activist from the UK, who's been doing social commentary/stand-up since the mid-80s. He's sorta the UK equivalent of Michael Moore, only a lot funnier and a bit less of a blowhard.

In "As Used....", he takes on the arms trade, specifically in the UK and Ireland. He does this by infiltrating an arms fair with a fake PR firm, setting up false arms trading companies...one headed up by a nun and one with schoolchildren. I won't go into too much detail, but he catches a few dealers out and even high-level military personnel from dodgy regimes.

In the end, he gets a few laws changed and leaves a few dealers with egg on their faces. I wish I could say that the arms trade was dealt a huge smack in the head. Unfortunately, the death industry shuffles on, but Thomas's book gives you a lot to ponder.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Used On the Famous Nelson Mandela.

03/22/2016 marked as: read