Kimberly's Reviews > Glow

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy-sf, arc, young-adult
Read from April 25 to 30, 2011

This book is not perfect - there were a couple of places that were sparse and could have done with a bit more fleshing out. The book is fairly short so it wouldn't have made it too long.

But, this book is nearly perfect otherwise. An original, twisty plot (yes, there are similarities with other books, but Ryan has done something really unique with old tropes), two marvelously compelling characters, and a lot to say about human nature.

It was painful to read at times, but that's because Ryan is such a great writer. She made me care about both protagonists so deeply that I felt it physically when they made mistakes or began to follow a path that I knew could only end badly. I am blown away by Glow. The best book I've read this year so far.

Update: Working on writing my longer review of this one, and I'm reading others' reviews to see what they got out of it. I'm a little surprised to see that so many people see it as religion-bashing and atheist-glorifying when in fact I think Ryan did a remarkably even-handed job of "demonizing" both sides equally...we're never really sure which "side" is the right one (and just when we think we are, Ryan shows us we're wrong...or are we?). I think it might be natural for many people to automatically be on the defensive about their religion, meaning they completely miss the fact that the people on the "no religion" ship are equally sinister. The point of the book is how people use religion (or lack thereof) to manipulate people and gain power, not that religion/atheism is bad or good in itself.

I plan on touching on this in my longer review, but I wanted to mention it now before I forgot.

Also, this is NOT A DYSTOPIA.

Full review here: http://www.stackedbooks.org/2011/09/g...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glow.

04/25/2011 page 91
28.0% "This is SO GOOD. Amy Kathleen Ryan is playing me in the best way possible."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly yay!!!!!!

Kimberly Kelly wrote: "yay!!!!!!"

Kelly Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "yay!!!!!!"

I'm really digging it so far! Wish I could just read all day instead of going back to work..."

Seriously, this might be one we should round robin when it gets closer to pub date. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Kimberly Kelly wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "yay!!!!!!"

Seriously, this might be one we should round robin when it..."

I agree!

Kelly Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "yay!!!!!!"

Seriously, this might be one we should round..."

Warning though that the end isn't a nice wrap up, but I think this is one of those books that actually needed to be a series, and the ending is right where it should be.

Kimberly Kelly wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "yay!!!!!!"

Seriously, this might be on..."

Hmmm I will keep that in mind! If there's enough story for an entire book, I can forgive her.

Kelly Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "yay!!!!!!"

Seriously, th..."

there sure is.
cannot wait to talk with you about this one.

message 8: by Liliyanne (new) - added it

Liliyanne is there a bad love triangle..? or is the choice obvious because i HATE love triangles. THANK YOU!

Kimberly Ebyan wrote: "is there a bad love triangle..? or is the choice obvious because i HATE love triangles. THANK YOU!"

There is the beginnings of a love triangle, sort of, but it's not like anything else you've read, so even if you dislike that aspect of books, I'd still urge you to give this a try.

Kelly i like your update because i agree wholeheartedly. what made this book so strong was we DONT know which is the right side. we've been thrown so many curves!

Kimberly And I think a big point of Ryan's is that there ISN'T an overall "good" or "bad" side. Fantasy and sci/fi so often lends itself to that easy dichotomy, but it's not present here.

Kelly Bingo. I think that's part of why I liked this book so much is it was so open and debatable.

Elise You've hit it exactly regarding good vs. bad...both sides have their points and just when you think you've figured it out, it flips again so you're always left questioning. That's brilliant and very uncommon in most science fiction where the lines between good and bad are more firmly drawn.