Anastasia's Reviews > Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!

Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr

Apr 08, 2011

liked it
Read in December, 2010

I hate diets. I hate the concept of eating one way for the rest of your life. Because that's the only way most diets will work. "I lost 18 lbs on the Atkins diet, but the first time I ate a potato I gained 25 lbs back." I've been on all of them. Cabbage soup diet, the Mayo Clinic diet (I use to like grapefruit juice) Atkins, South Beach...blah blah blah. But I like food. I also love to cook food. But being diabetic I have a lot of guilt when it comes to food. And being overweight I tend to berate myself when it comes to food.

But if I was to be on a diet, I would definitely like it to be a Crazy Sexy one. Right? So much better then "I'm on the blood type diet."

It's written by Kris Carr who did the documentary "Crazy Sexy Cancer." on TLC. She found out she had cancer. A rare cancer that couldn't be operated on. She of course saw all kinds of specialists, then she changed her diet. She became a certified nutritionist and learned what food really does to you. She became vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, caffeine-free and ate mostly raw. And her cancer stopped. She's not cured but it hasn't migrated or gotten any bigger either. She is in full remission.

I've been vegan before, I've even given up caffeine, and being diabetic I tend to steer clear of refined sugar as much as I can. Gluten free would be hard, but I've worked in gluten free bakeries so I knew I could work around it and what to look for. But the raw thing would be the hardest. I love to cook. My family's heart is in our kitchen. My girls and I cook together, my husband and I cook together. I didn't want to sacrifice that. So I said okay I can do this, but I will probably still cook my vegetables. I started the 21 Day cleanse excited and looking forward to feeling better. I got five days in and just couldn't do it. I felt like pooh. I know that's part of detoxification, but I don't want to feel like pooh. So I gave up. I drank a diet soda and I had some enchiladas. I failed. I am not crazy or sexy. At least when it comes to dieting.

Don't get me wrong, the book is fantastic. Carr is amazingly supportive and so is the online community. Carr really feels like she is your best friend and is rooting for you. I do agree with her that our diet can cause a lot of pain and suffering. Who knows what the chemicals they use will do to us eventually? And the FDA does not have your best interest at heart. Sorry. So if you have more willpower then I do, please buy her book.
I guess if I get cancer, I can chalk it up to being a lazy dieter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Sexy Diet.

02/12 marked as: read

Megan Machin You don't have to give up everything at once, try cutting out one or two things and finding new ways of cooking. Make it exciting and fun, don't look at it as "I have to give up everything I want, this is going to suck". Look at it as "I need to go buy a raw food 'cookbook' (yes there is such a thing!)" and try incorporating new methods into your routine. You can do it, you just need to find a better way to approach it. Good luck!

Cindy Brown Ash Does the book require you to detox, or can you just adopt small changes in progression? Calling yourself a failed dieter when you made it through five days of a cleanse seems pretty harsh on yourself.