Samantha's Reviews > The Viscount Who Loved Me

Apr 15, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in June, 2006

** spoiler alert ** I really couldn’t get into Anthony’s character too much. Mostly because he has some major jerk moments in this book that I don’t think he ever really redeemed himself of.

Kate on the other hand was great. She was smart and pretty much told things like they were. I also really liked seeing that Kate and Edwina had a good relationship, despite being step sisters. Kate wasn’t bitter at all of Edwina’s attention and Edwina wasn’t conceited about it. But one of my biggest problems had to do with that. I would’ve liked to have seen Kate get noticed and have something nice done for her at least once in the book. But everything nice that happens to her happens because of Edwina. Like one scene in particular where Kate is enjoying the flowers her sister got from various suitors, because she hasn’t gotten any and Anthony walks in on her when he comes to call for Edwina. And he’s got three bouquets of flowers, a large one for Edwina and two smaller ones for Kate and her mother, because he remembered how well that went over when Simon did it for his mother. Now I think I was supposed to be touched that Anthony would bring flowers for the rest of the family, but I didn’t see it as an act of kindness. I saw it as him trying to weasel his way into Kate’s and her mother’s good graces and the only reason why he even thought of doing that were because Simon had done it. Meanwhile Kate’s trying to hide how much receiving a few flowers touched her and I just felt really bad for her. Even when they get hitched, I don’t really remember Anthony doing something nice for her. Instead he pretty much just comes home at night to bop her before scampering off when the sun rises. Yeah, I know, he has problems, but I just couldn’t seem to like him.

Despite me not liking the hero of this book, it was still an okay read. Anthony wasn’t so bad as to make me want to put down the book. Kate and the minor characters in the story made up for my dislike of him. And there were some amusing scenes featuring other members of the Bridgerton clan that I liked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Viscount Who Loved Me.