Parsnip's Reviews > The Soul Mirror

The Soul Mirror by Carol Berg

U_50x66
Nov 04, 11

Read in April, 2011

Having read many of Carol Berg's books, I can attest that Berg has an amazing talent for writing characters that are engaging and yet can be insufferably annoying and cowardly and highhanded. Especially in the first Collegia Magica novel. However, in this book, she wrote a more grounded, well rounded, somewhat cliched main protagonist, but I loved it all the same. It made for a more comfortable read and she tied in many of the elements of the previous book without requiring second had knowledge of it which I can appreciate.

I liked how she showed us a different perspective of the three men we met and grew to intimately know in the first Collegia book without warping their personalities considering the skewed perception. The writing, in short, was superb. I can't wait to see what else Ms. Berg will write in her next novel and from whose perspective we'll see things from next.

As for the book itself, there are elements of politics, court intrigue, murder and attempted murder, chase scenes, banditry, and of course, magic. This is a true fantasy book set in such a way that the fantasy adds to the story rather then dwarfing and shaping it. I'll definitely read this again if I get an urge to d so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soul Mirror.