Melanie Fair's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: i-feel-like-i-should-wear-a-monocle
Read in March, 2011

There's always some suspicion when a book is mandatory for a class, so I didn't go into it as open minded as I should've. There were quite a few things I didn't like...
1. The narrator is downright boring. Seriously, if she just died, I'd shrug and hope that in some way it would redeem the book.
2. Writing in the same circular motion we think in. It was confusing and wasn't pulled off well enough. We write to make our thoughts logical, so stream-of-conciousness or whatever you want to call this style is just butchering some of the best aspects of writing.
3. The-mystery-that-isn't-a-mystery. I didn't have all the pieces by the time the "grand unveiling" came around, but I had the major ones. It was like watching a bad relationship and going "...when are they going to break up?".
It was still possible to pull up from the nose-dive of a novel; endings make or break a book. Unfortunately the ending made everything worse, and brought it down to a two-star rating.

Semi-Spoiler Alert
...they just frickin' accept their fate, therefore deflating all of the tension and making the reader wonder "why did I read this at all?" Yes, I realize it's dystopian, but it could've been better. I was screaming as loud as Tommy afterwards.
End Semi-Spoiler Alert

Bottom line: I liked the movie way better, and not just because I love Keira Knightley. If you want plot without filler, watch the movie. It'll give you the cliff notes.
And, of course, I loved the person nobody did; Miss Emily. Really, she's just a product of a bad system. Ruth was...okay, but Kathy (Cathy?) and Tommy can go jump off of a bridge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

Quotes Melanie Liked

Kazuo Ishiguro
“We took away your art because we thought it would reveal your souls. Or to put it more finely, we did it to prove you had souls at all.”
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go

Kazuo Ishiguro
“Sometimes I get so immersed in my own company, if I unexpectedly run into someone I know, it's a bit of a shock and takes me a while to adjust.”
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go