Marni's Reviews > A White Bird Flying

A White Bird Flying by Bess Streeter Aldrich

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011, art-of-womanhood, marriage, personal-classic, virtues, mothering
Read in June, 2011

The copy I read has 335 pages, and I sat on page 102 for days deciding whether to go on or not. The raving reviews spoke otherwise, but NOTHING was happening in the book, and I didn't want to waste much more time with it. I think it was about 10 pages later when things picked up, and I couldn't stop reading after that. I even contemplated giving it 4 stars for a while because of the beginning, but the further the book went on the more beautiful.

And the ending (I mean especially the last few pages) - perfect.

This is the story of Laura Deal. Her high aspirations for her life means staying unmarried. She has plenty of reasons for that, including all the many ways marriage and family have tied down and stopped others she knew from achieving their dreams. Lots of wonderful perspective on marriage, both from her thoughts when she comes around and throughout from Allen, the young man who wants to marry her.

I didn't realize that "A Lantern in Her Hand" is set before this one. Maybe that would have helped the beginning? I plan on reading it soon.

I'll share one favorite quote. Laura is giving some of her reasons against marriage to Allen and mentions she "can't think of anything more prosaic than settling down here . . . and sort of letting the world go by." Allen's reply, "I don't call it letting the world go by. I call it tackling a small piece of the world, and making something of it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A White Bird Flying.