Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Destined

Destined by Aprilynne Pike

Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Oh, geez this is awkward. I've just finished Destined and can't find a single thing to say about it because it's not very memorable.

No wait. It's all coming back to me now. Mmmmmhmmmm. Let me get my glasses for this one.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ah, that's better. And yes, there will be spoilers.

I'll be honest and admit that the Wings series has been of a guilty pleasure of mine. It's not the best written book I've ever read or the worst for that matter. But it had a level of entertainment that kept me around till the end. At least that's what I tell myself because as I dove into Destined I just couldn't help but think how incredibly boring it was. And that greatly disappointed me since I was just looking for a light, fluffy read. Instead I was left with a story cornier than a box of Kellogg's cereal.

So very, very corny.

So the plot is a simple one. We all knew based on the ending of Illusions that Yuki would eventually escape with Klea and go after Avalon. She also happens to have an entire army of trolls ready to bust the doors down. That leaves David, Laurel, Tamani and Chelsea to race to Avalon and warn everyone. Fantastic. It was a fine beginning with promise. Unfortunately, that promise died when we are introduced to the biggest cop out I've read in a long time. Jamison asks David to fight against the trolls using Excalibur. It was truly a Disney movie moment. I knew at that moment it could only go down hill from there.

"David, with the name of Kings," Jamison said formally,

>_>

"It's time to discover if you are the hero Laurel has always thought you to be. Will you join us in defending Avalon?"

It seemed that they were *thisclose* to breaking out in song and dance. Then David had his Sword in the Stone moment and was told nothing could hurt him while he wielded Excalibur. And I do mean nothing. If someone were to strike him with a sword, it would conveniently miss him. Or if someone were to shoot him with a gun, the bullets would just drop in front of him. Not even poisonous AIR could harm him.

*facepalm*

David had no previous fighting experience, but all he had to do was swing the sword and trolls would just die on the spot. He went all deus ex machina throughout the entire book.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And that's when I lost all desire to finish the book.

Everything was was just too carefully placed and never felt organic to me. The Queen orders Jamison to stay out of the fight, but when she finds out he's disobeyed her she doesn't do anything. Jamison gets taken out during the battle early on and forced to rest, but when the gang goes up against Yuki, he appears out of nowhere ready to assist. Speaking of Yuki, she turned out to be the biggest disappointment of them all. She supposedly has the ability to kill other fairies or at least be really powerful. But she was pretty much useless.

Of course with any battle there are deaths. I feel the impact of a character death is at its greatest when I actually care about the character that's dying. Duh, right? Well, there are two characters who are killed that the reader is familiar with, but I never really felt any kind of sadness for them. Laurel and Tam cared deeply for them, but they weren't around enough in the previous books for me to grow an attachment to them. They were expendable characters.

Another reviewer noted that with everything that was going on, and there was a fair amount of action, it actually felt like nothing was happening. I've been pondering how that's possible and I believe it's because there didn't appear to be much anticipation or build up to any of the scenes. At least I didn't feel any. I just went through the motions of finishing the book to be able to say I completed the series. There was exactly one part where I felt a twinge of emotion and it's where Tamani thinks he sees Laurel die and goes off on his own to kill Klea or be killed by her. But before those feelings get a chance to develop, Laurel goes running after him. End scene. That left me so angry!

Then my biggest pet peeve about YA novels starts flying around left and right. The whole, "I can't live without you!" trope. I really hate when that's used because it gives off the appearance of teens ready to end their life over a boyfriend/girlfriend. They're in the midst of a battle for Avalon, saving other fae's lives, and they start wondering why they would bother if the other were to die. Ummm... because your friends and family are still in danger?!

Gah!!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Then we get to the ending where there is a deadly toxin seeping into the land and killing Tamani courtesy of Klea. It's up to Laurel to save not only Tamani, but all of Avalon. And she's all:

"She wasn't sure if it mattered if the toxin infected her. Was her life worth living without Tamani? Was the risk worth one last kiss? One final embrace?"

So, you're just going to forget about Avalon then?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

"He had to be alive. She wasn't sure if she could live another moment if he wasn't with her. What did any of this matter if, in the end, she was too late to save Tamani?"

FFFFFUUUUUUUU!!!!!

*inhale, exhale*

*whoosah*

Whew, sorry about that. I started seeing red again.

The ending was your typical "... And they lived happily ever after" in true Disney fashion. In hindsight, there were casualties, but none that anyone cared about (I find it interesting that Tamani never went back to check on his niece after she lost her mother! O.o Laurel was more important, I guess.). The only thing that mattered is that Tamani got to be with his one true love forever and ever. The end. Lame.

So, I guess if you enjoyed the first three books, you'll probably enjoy this one to some extent. But for everyone else, I wouldn't go into this one expecting much. Overall it was a big ol' pile of MEH.

ARC was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss. Thank you!

More reviews at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.

06/12/2012
10.0% "Ugh. Can we please stop treating Laurel like a delicate flower? Oh, wait..." 7 comments
06/14/2012
30.0% "This book has just made a left turn right on to corny street. Smh." 2 comments
06/16/2012
50.0% "I don't think I'll end up finishing this book. It's... lame." 7 comments
06/18/2012
82.0% "The was so obvious. -_-" 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Experiment BL626 Ooo. I almost forgot about this book. Let's read together!

Steph Sinclair Experiment BL626 wrote: "Ooo. I almost forgot about this book. Let's read together!"

Sure, but I'll warn you: I'm a terrible Read-a-long partner! It'll be interesting to see how our thoughts compare. I hear the ending is less than desirable.

Experiment BL626 Oh wow. Thank you for warning me. Expectations now lowered.

message 4: by Steph (last edited May 29, 2012 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Steph Sinclair Experiment BL626 wrote: "Oh wow. Thank you for warning me. Expectations now lowered."

Lol. ;P

You'll probably finish before me!

Experiment BL626 Wait, *re-reading my comment* I meant warning about the book, not about you. I'm also a terrible read-along partner. We can be terrible together. =D

Steph Sinclair Oh! Haha! Yes, let's be terrible together. :D

Victoria Hey, Stephanie! How are you enjoying Destined so far?

Steph Sinclair Victoria wrote: "Hey, Stephanie! How are you enjoying Destined so far?"

I'm not very far into it. Only the first few pages.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy reader OMG! tell how it ends i frickin hate this series!

Experiment BL626 Please, please a scathing review with GIFs... please.

message 11: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Oh no, I was really hoping this one would make it to five stars for me! How sad.

Steph Sinclair @Experiment, Hahaha! Did you start it yet?

Lissa, I didn't think it was a good ending at all sadly.

Experiment BL626 Uh...page 2 then I got discouraged.

Steph Sinclair Experiment BL626 wrote: "Uh...page 2 then I got discouraged. "

Lol! Well, you didn't miss much. Heh.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer I hate when you are enjoying a series and it just starts to suck. I have a few of those myself it is def an awkward moment when you have to readjust some shelves because of a later book.

Anastasia [I'm Wonderstruck...] I saw my friend reading this one. She also recommended Mockingjay.

I'm starting to get a little worried about her...

Erica (daydreamer) Awesome review! I love the Sword in the Stone gifs. Maybe I wont read this book. Sounds like a colossal waste of time.

message 18: by M (new)

M MY FAVE CHILDHOOD MOVIE!
[Sorry I didn' read the review. Merlin amazes me]

message 19: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza Is this the one where she grows a flower on her back? (Love the review, it made me chortle.)

Experiment BL626 Nafiza wrote: "Is this the one where she grows a flower on her back? (Love the review, it made me chortle.)"

Yes. Yes, she did.

message 21: by Neyra ♦ (new)

Neyra ♦ I hate when characters are written that way, to a point where they only care about their bf/gf and the rest of the world is shit to them. Ugh, smh -.- Definitely makes a story lame, and one loses interst.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Brilliant use of GIFs as usual, Steph. Especially the last one. LOL.

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly That's a shame. Was the first book worth reading or was the entire series a flop?

Experiment BL626 Kelly wrote: "That's a shame. Was the first book worth reading or was the entire series a flop?"

Not really. It's a mediocre series.

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly @ Experiment BL626 : Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering whether or not I should read it.

message 26: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Where do you go to get your gifs? (The fact that this is from The Sword of the Stone is hilarious). I need to get some that are perfect for reviews too :P

message 27: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Oh, I'm so glad I read this review. My desire to buy the book has evaporated. I'll still get it from the library. Maybe.

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 19, 2012 04:05PM) (new)

Amanda wrote: "I hate when you are enjoying a series and it just starts to suck. I have a few of those myself it is def an awkward moment when you have to readjust some shelves because of a later book."

Ain't that the saddest truth. Right with the part where you have to explain that it wasn't temporarily insanity (even when some times IT WAS) because it didn't use to suck.

Seriously?

Steph Sinclair Thanks everyone.

@Erica, I think this would really disappoint you. And the sad park is, you already know how in ends. You really don't need to read it.

@Kara, I'm trying this new thing where I challenge myself with a theme. Lol!

@Kelly, like Experiment said, it's not all that. Fluff at best. I hear it's going to be made into a movie. Guess who brought the rights? Disney. (I think.)

@Stephanie, I spend entirely too much time giggling over at Tumblr. It's where I get most of the gifs.

Steph Sinclair @Zanahoria, yup. The flower grows out her back because fairies are plants in this series.

Karen Just finished it and I gotta say, your reivew pretty much nailed it for me. What a disappointment! >_< But the Merlin pics made me smile, especially with Arthur holding a teacup, it's perfect!

message 32: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Nguyen Ahahaha, your review made me laugh so hard, but your review was very informational though, so thank you :D

message 33: by Athena (new) - added it

Athena Lol. I haven't read it yet, but your review makes me want to read it more. In some ways, I really hope I have all those sword in the stone moments. In others im really hoping I don't. :P we shall see though. Teehee.

Steph Sinclair Thanks you! I hope you enjoy it more than I did, Athena!

message 35: by Athena (new) - added it

Athena :P I'm just hoping I enjoy it at all. :)

Experiment BL626 Just finished it. Wow, what a total stinker of a series. Good thing I didn't give a crap about the characters 'cause the ending bombed.

Steph Sinclair Experiment BL626 wrote: "Just finished it. Wow, what a total stinker of a series. Good thing I didn't give a crap about the characters 'cause the ending bombed."

I know! I'm not ever sure why I continued reading it. Maybe because I have this need to finish things I start?

You know they are supposed to be doing a movie of this series right?

message 38: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Aug 04, 2012 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Experiment BL626 Join the series-OCD club. And ew. Really? A movie? I hope it strays far away from the book.

Steph Sinclair Experiment BL626 wrote: "Join the series-OCD club. And ew. Really? A movie? I hope it strays far away from the book."

The star is rumored to be Miley Cyrus.

Carley Bearwish hahaha! I love your review. Don't agree with it one iota. But I love it. ;)

Steph Sinclair Carley wrote: "hahaha! I love your review. Don't agree with it one iota. But I love it. ;)"

Thank you, Carley! :)

Jenyy Best review EVER

Steph Sinclair Jenyy wrote: "Best review EVER"

Best comment EVER.

Therealbadkitty Why did you shelve this as an angel book?

Steph Sinclair Therealbadkitty wrote: "Why did you shelve this as an angel book?"

Strange. That's an error. Thanks for letting me know!

Therealbadkitty Steph wrote: "Therealbadkitty wrote: "Why did you shelve this as an angel book?"

Strange. That's an error. Thanks for letting me know!"

You're welcome haha cleaning up goodreads one mistake at a time :)

Lilth Burns *sigh* the ending was such a let down... :( She could have made it a totally epic with unexpected battle twists and a darker resolution but instead she went with the foreseeable and "happily ever after" ending...

Steph Sinclair Lilth wrote: "*sigh* the ending was such a let down... :( She could have made it a totally epic with unexpected battle twists and a darker resolution but instead she went with the foreseeable and "happily ever ..."

I know. It was such a let down, especially David's arc.

message 49: by Selena (new)

Selena To be fair on the Excalibur thing, that sword was already overpowered as it is. If I remember correctly, it had the "impervious to damage" ability and "insta-kill" already.

But yeah, I can see where that would get annoying really fast.