Ridley's Reviews > The Last Goodbye

The Last Goodbye by Sarah Mayberry

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: ebook, 4-star, contemporary, read-2012, category-romance, hqn-superromance
Read in February, 2012

Just when I thought I was burnt out on romance novels, I reacquainted myself with the joy that is a Sarah Mayberry Superromance. This one was no exception. It pairs a hero reluctantly caring for his terminally ill father and the advice columnist heroine house-sitting next door and is positively drenched in emotion. The hero is at odds with himself over how to handle his father, who had physically and verbally abused him and his brother until they ran away at 17, and the book pulls no punches with how their reunion unfolds. There are no easy answers and no neat resolution, and I was thankful for that honesty.

While I really, really enjoyed this one, I found the heroine's behavior at the end a bit contrived, and that knocks a star off. Maybe it's unfair of me, but I didn't buy the "I like to wander, therefore I can't do relationships" line of reasoning. My sister-in-law, like the heroine, also lives in house-sits - splitting her time last year between Massachusetts, Thailand and Paris - yet she's managed a many years long relationship just fine. He happily wanders along with her. Mayberry applies some psychology to her at the end to attempt to explain away what I criticize, but it didn't work for me. Even if she had been preemptively rejecting people's love as a defense mechanism, I couldn't see one conversation with Tyler breaking that behavior. It's not a huge flaw, but it deflated the ending a bit for me.

Maybe I'll write a more coherent review later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Goodbye.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jae Your criticism is an issue I have with all of the Super Romance's of Mayberry's that I've read. Her writing is tight and the stories are emotionally charged but the characters too often overcome their relationship hangups with a single lightbulb moment. I keep reading her books because her talent makes up for it, but it's why I borrow her stuff instead of buying it. Thankfully, my library has tons of her stuff available digitally.