Jennifer's Reviews > Bengal's Heart

Bengal's Heart by Lora Leigh

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: breeds, paranormal-romance

Another one I never reviewed. Let's face it, the Breeds books are nearing end of life, at least for me. What was once an exciting concept with some titillating nuances and scorching sex... has become a little passe. This is Cabal's story. Cabal is a Bengal Breed, Tanner's twin. Since I especially enjoyed Tanner's Scheme, I thought maybe this would be another good one. But I couldn't identify very well with Cabal, and definitely did not find Cassa sympathetic. The suspense element of the plot was just OK.

The only thing that I found interesting in this book was the introduction of a new class of Breeds - the "Primal" Breeds, who can outrun, outsniff, and, well, outBreed the other Breeds I guess you could say. I thought it was interesting, but I also thought it smacked of desperation - even Leigh is looking for ways to keep this series alive! Additionally, it seems like a device - similar to the hopped up future jeeps and laser guns in Megan's Mark - trying to breathe new life and mix things up a little. Since this book was released, there have been two other full length Breed novels - Lion's Heat and Styx's Storm, and neither of those spends any time on the "Primals" (or many laser guns for that matter), reinforcing the idea that it was just a device.

Like I said though, that was the most interesting element of the book. But I am past the point where I need to read the same book over and over again. She has lost my interest on the overall plot of the Breeds arc and until I see that she's doing something meaningful with the overall story, I will probably take or leave these Breeds books. I can just go back and re-read the better ones if I feel the need!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bengal's Heart.