Monique's Reviews > A Pale View of Hills

A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, historical-fiction, mystery
Read from January 12 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is the third Kazuo Ishiguro book that I've had the pleasure of reading. Last year, Never Let Me Go made it to my personal list of best reads, and The Remains of the Day , another one of Ishiguro's more popular novels, also with a film adaptation (like Never Let Me Go ) to prove it, left its mark on me, albeit not in the way that Never Let Me Go did. Both novels propelled their author into favorite-dom in my book, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on another Ishiguro novel.

And so imagine my happiness at having been gifted with a copy of A Pale View of Hills by my book club buddy, Angus, last Christmas. It was meant to be my first read for 2012, but something else caught my attention at the time. But here I am, with hardly a wink last the other night, in my desire to finish reading it and find out what Ishiguro has got up his sleeve this time around.

The blurb on my Faber Firsts copy reads:

“Etsuko is a Japanese woman now living alone in England. Retreating into the past, she finds herself reliving one particular hot summer in Nagasaki, when she and her friends struggled to rebuild their lives after the war. But as she recalls her strange friendship with Sachiko – a wealthy woman reduced to vagrancy – the memories take on a disturbing cast.”

Reading A Pale View of Hills reminded me once again why I love Ishiguro's works. The pace would usually start out slow, continue on in the same manner, in some parts even bordering on dull and boring, but you just have to keep at it until something actually happens. I would even daresay the plot would meander and appear to be heading in no particular direction, but really, it isn't like that. For some people, this would be quite a turnoff, especially to those who prefer clean, definite paths to the story, or who prefer their mysteries solved very neatly in the end. This style, however, which I've now associated exclusively with Ishiguro's works, never fails to take me for a loop.

To Ishiguro's credit, he knows how to sustain a reader's interest, dropping little hints at every chapter's end or leaving something suspenseful to look forward to in the next chapter, just to keep you reading. That's always what happens with me, at least. For me, Ishiguro is a master at storytelling; I was completely absorbed with A Pale View of Hills from beginning to end, and I just couldn't wait to get to The Big Twist. Another thing that I love most about Ishiguro's writings is the fact that he will leave the reader to formulate his own conclusions, to challenge his recollection of everything that he has previously read and connect it to the ending presented. If you've read Never Let Me Go and was totally appalled shocked not expecting and affected by the ending, and you felt the need to reread the book just to see if you can pick up clues along the way that seemed pretty mundane when you first read about them, then that's the way it was with this book. As I closed my copy, my mind automatically went on rewind, plucking bits of information and scenes I read about in the previous chapters that even remotely suggested that this was actually how things were in the end. My mind drew complete blanks.

After three books from Ishiguro, and enjoying each one of them immensely, there is no more scintilla of doubt left in me that I will read the rest of his written works. Next up: Nocturnes . ;)

My copy: a Faber Firsts TPB from Angus. Thank you!

Also posted here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pale View of Hills.

01/17/2012 page 36
20.0% "Who is the woman Mariko keeps seeing ???"
01/17/2012 page 83
45.0% "Should I be creeped out? Because this is just creeping me out. *shivers*"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely Wow. Third book. I still have to read this. Thanks for a nice review.

Monique K.D. wrote: "Wow. Third book. I still have to read this. Thanks for a nice review."

I can lend you my copy if you don't have it yet, Kuya. Thanks! And I'll read The Wasp Factory already so I can return your copy at the 1984 discussion. :)

K.D. Absolutely No I have this, Monique.

I have all the Ishiguro books.

Monique K.D. wrote: "No I have this, Monique.

I have all the Ishiguro books.

I just read one book a year because he is so good I would not want to finish all his books in one year."

Yay, so pag di pala ako nakahanap ng copy, I can borrow from you? :D

Veronica Nice review. Now I want to read this too.

I wonder if Ishiguro can ever write a bad book. :)

K.D. Absolutely V: May brother did not like his longest book: "The Unconsoled."

I also have a copy of "When We Were Orphans." The reviews are mixed too.

Monique Thanks, Ms. Ronnie! I hope you'll like this book. :)

Kuya: I will read those books within the year. ;)

K.D. Absolutely Goodluck, Monique.