Charlyn Trussell's Reviews > The End of Time

The End of Time by P.W. Catanese

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, fiction, series, time-travel
Read from April 03 to 05, 2011, read count: 1

I was so looking forward to continuing Hap and Umber's story and the finale was everything I expected and more. I galloped through it until about three-fourth's of the way when I came to a halt. Things were moving so quickly that the book was going to end before I was ready to leave it. Hap and Umber are besieged on every side by enemies--those from the past and new, unexpected ones. Once I began reading again, I read straight through to the end and was never disappointed. If there were loose ends, I was moving too fast to see them and never expected some of the twists taken. Hap must find his own power and save himself just when Umber's domain is also being challenged.
I read through other reviews and noted that several reviewers did not like the ending. I thought that the ending was a complement to the beginning: the story begins with Umber taking Hap under his wing and it ends with Hap returning the favor. Between, Catanese has woven a story of good versus evil and of the magic of fantasy versus the magic of technology. There is also the juxtaposition of Hap who finds himself to be a Meddler and Umber who has himself meddled in the progress of Kurahaven. And I probably should re-read this book again because it's difficult to catch everything when you're moving at break-neck speed.
One of my students brought in the first book in the series and proclaimed, "This is the best book I've ever read." I think he'll find the rest of the series equally enchanting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Time.