Diane's Reviews > Blue Chameleon

Blue Chameleon by Emily Gravett

Apr 07, 2011

Read in April, 2011

The Blue Chameleon is a picture book about shapes and colors for young readers. The Blue Chameleon is (as you probably guessed) lonely. He crawls along hoping to meet a friend, each time he meets a critter or object he'd like to have for a friend, he so wants to fit in, that he turns the same color as them. He becomes yellow like the banana, gold - like the fish, pink like a cockatoo, green like the grasshopper etc. Frustrated that he can't find a friend, he turn gray like the rock he is sitting on, exclaiming "I give up". Until one day he meet the perfect friend who is just as colorful as him.

The text is minimal in this book. There is basically just one word on each page. One page consists of a color (the color the chameleon has become), and on the opposite is the name of same color object. The illustrations are cute, and I could see how this would be a useful book for teaching very young children their colors. I think this book might have been better as a board book, as it is suited to the very youngest of readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Chameleon.