Patty's Reviews > The Various Haunts of Men

The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill

F 50x66
Apr 11, 11

Read from April 07 to 10, 2011

This is an excellent book. Well written, powerful and wonderful characters, a compelling mystery and a poetry to the words.

There are a *lot* of characters in this book and several story lines that are running in various directions. This isn't book to pick up and expect to follow in bits 'n pieces, you'll need to sit down and devote time to getting people and stories straight and then try and get them to merge in the right places because the author doesn't merge them until much later in the book.

Having said all that, I can say that I didn't like the ending, not because Hill cheated in any way, she played fair all the way through the book, but the results for at least two characters felt "wrong". No spoilers here but the ending was a shock.

According to what I've read about this series Inspector Simon Serrailler is the main character but in this book he almost appears to be a sideline character. The main character, at least to me, is new Sgt. Freya Graffham. She is new to the force in which Simon is her boss. I also love Nathan the officer described as having a face like a monkey. He turns into one of my favorite characters!

I'll read more in this series, although I may wait a while, Hill writes an intense story and I think I need something "lighter" before I tackle the next book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Various Haunts of Men.