William Bentrim's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Apr 07, 11

Read in April, 2011

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

An ancient Druid in a contemporary setting and his conflict with a pantheon of gods and his relationship with his dog and allies form the core of this book.

Atticus O’Sullivan is a highly likeable character with an even more likeable Irish Wolfhound named Oberon. Oberon and Atticus are best buddies and communicate telepathically. Luckily my character Tiny in my chapter books for kids was created prior to reading this or I would wonder if I had pulled the idea from here. Anthropomorphism is and has been for decades one of my favorite things. There is plenty of it in this story.

Atticus lives in harmony with nature but not so much with the series of gods he contends with. Hearne had solid character development so you get a good idea on Atticus as a protagonist. Vampires, werewolves, witches, gods, goddesses, succubae and other colorful and mystic characters are introduced. The cast is set for multiple sequels.

I enjoyed the way the concept of the Iron Druid was introduced. Hearne does a great job in writing a good, rousing adventure with a welcome leavening of morality, loyalty and camaraderie

I highly recommend the book and look forward to reading the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.