Danielle's Reviews > The Waste Lands

The Waste Lands by Stephen King

Apr 07, 2011

bookshelves: modern-fiction
Read from September 22 to 26, 2014

Another solid entry in King's saga of Roland, the gunslinger, and the people fated to join him on his quest to the dark tower. In this book, Eddie and Susannah have progressed on their journey with Roland and begin to understand more about the unraveling of the world they find themselves in. They soon discover that Jake, the boy who accompanied Roland as he chased the man and black, is still destined to be on the journey despite his death in Roland's world and that each holds a part of the puzzle to reaching the dark tower.

King has a perfect blend of horror and science fiction here and as is his style has interweaving threads that come together without being overworked. His storytelling ability is also strong as he reveals more of the world he's created that so eerily mirrors our own. I did not find this as strong as the second book, I think because there was a depth in the second book that wasn't matched here. I'll be in new territory after reading the next book and I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waste Lands.

09/22/2014 marked as: currently-reading