Peter Buren's Reviews > My War: Killing Time in Iraq

My War by Colby Buzzell

Apr 07, 2011

One of many first-person accounts of the current Iraq War. These books have their place in presenting the raw material of history; unlike previous wars stretching back to ancient times, today’s war is documented in detail and with immediacy unknown previously. There is no need to sit around and wait for Thucydides to jot down what happened anymore, as real soldiers blog in real time about what is going on. The down side of course is Thucydides, by virtue of time and intellect, had a helluva lot more to say in his book than guys like Colby do in theirs. This is however, not a cheap shot at Colby, or any others working in the blog/memoir/instant history genre (clears throat). They are honest about presenting what they saw, in words they used, and the reader benefits from the perspective. In Colby’s case, the book offers a realistic view of the slow motion process of deciding to join the military (no parades, no recruitment posters, a series of dead end jobs and suburban boredom), followed by one person’s vision of combat and Iraq in the second phase of the War, around 2004.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My War.