Becky's Reviews > Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

F_50x66
Apr 07, 11

Read from March 09 to 15, 2011, read count: 1

Overall the book is good, but I didn't enjoy it. It's a book that I would have been fine if I had never read. I'm not going to give a description of the book but the first half of the book is incredibly slow. With the reviews I read I thought there must be something big coming. But, no. The ending, for me, is just 'oh, okay, I get it.' Right after I finished reading it, I thought, "okay, I guess that was good". But the more time I spend thinking about the book, the more I dislike it. He described everything in a way to make it seem horrible. Usually after reading a book set in a different time period I think, "I wonder what it would really be like to live back then". But after Maguire's book I just thought everything seemed awful. Even the description of the beautiful Clara was made to sound as an insult. And, in my opinion, I felt that Maguire is taking these fairy tales and trying to say that 'happily ever afters' aren't really so happy. Or to make us feel dumb and naive for thinking everything could end up good. My opinion after reading this book is that I will never read another Gregory Maguire book (I had already read Wicked) and I don't think I'd want to know him as a person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.