Melissa Bennett's Reviews > Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself

Girls Like Us by Rachel Lloyd

Apr 13, 11

I have read numerous books on human trafficking/prostitution with kids but it was always about other countries. Not here in the US. Although I knew that it happened here, I did not know how bad it actually was. The book gave many insights on very young girls that have been or are out there being used for sex. The things these girls go through and the backgrounds in which they come from. There were statistics, facts, etc that helped put perspective on everything.
The author even flashes back in places and tells her own story of being in the sex trade as a young girl. She lets you see what she went through and why. Also, how she got herself out of there and started an organization called GEMS that helps girls in these types of situations.
I enjoyed the book. I took off a star because the author came across to me as being a bit grandiose. Also, I understand the need to make people understand where these girls are coming from and that they are not to blame but sometimes it became repetitive and almost felt "preachy". With that, it is still a good read and gives out an important message.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Like Us.