Mike Mullin's Reviews > Words in the Dust

Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy

Apr 21, 11

Read from April 13 to 21, 2011

I count this among the finest first novels I've yet read. I was most impressed by the tremendous empathy, Trent Reedy, a U.S. soldier, was able to find for his main character, Zulaikha, a young Afghan girl. He wrote so deeply in her perspective that if I were told that the book was written by Zulaikha, I'd completely believe it.

Part of what makes the writing so outstanding and believable is the level of detail Words in the Dust incorporates. Reedy has obviously spend countless hours researching the daily lives of the Afghan people which, when added to his personal experience in the country, makes the story utterly engrossing and realistic.

Don't skip the amazing Author's Note at the end. The idea that a soldier could arrive in Afghanistan to "focus on hunting down terrorists" and leave with a quixotic drive to tell the story of one small child brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Words in the Dust.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca Have to learn more on this one....

message 2: by Rashid (new) - added it

Rashid Zahir where r u from plz?
..from Afg

Mike Mullin I live in the United States, in Indiana.

message 4: by Rashid (new) - added it

Rashid Zahir Mike wrote: "I live in the United States, in Indiana."

ok, nice, i have friends here in kandahar, they r from Dallas, Texas.

Cooee Mike, no need for me to write my own review; I agree with all you have said. Thank you so much for the heads up re the Author's Note, it was very moving.

Mike Mullin Thank you, Cooee. This is on my short list for a Newberry honor. (I'm hoping Okay for Now wins.)

Cooee I've put Okay for Now on my to-read list, along with Wednesday Wars. Thx for mentioning it!

Mike Mullin Schmidt's Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy is well worth your reading time also.