John's Reviews > Chinese Ceramics: From the Paleolithic Period through the Qing Dynasty

Chinese Ceramics by Laurie Barnes

1020305
Jul 09, 13

Read from April 07, 2011 to July 09, 2013

This hefty book - it weights at least ten pounds - looks as if it just might replace Valenstein (2nd ed.) as the standard survey of the subject. Gorgeous object.

I've read the introduction, overview of Chinese ceramic history, and the first chapter which provides a survey history of Chinese ceramics during the Neolithic era, during which potters created my very favorite pieces. Like most surveys of ancient cultures, it resembles nothing so much as a list of "cultures," masses and multitudes of them, with little analysis that enables the interested reader to distinguish one from the other. On the other hand, the chapter does contain a sufficient number of line drawings and photos of pieces on display to help the attentive reader begin to makes his own assessments.

In my case, because I travel from DC to Salem, Mass, visiting important museum collections and attending rather high-end antique shows where I can see objects of this kind, it all begins to make a bit more sense to me. I can't imaging reading this book - a catalog, really, without also venturing out to see as much of this material that's readily available to be seen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chinese Ceramics.

07/09/2013 marked as: read