Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Cassandra Clare did it again! She single-handedly managed to bore me to death!

I don’t want to sound like a crybaby (and I will try my best not to) but Clockwork Prince gets the Disappointment Award of 2011. After seeing so many 5-star reviews (I will never learn, will I?) I had so many high hopes. Since it happened with A Monster Calls why wouldn’t it with this one also? Maybe because Patrick Ness is a good author and Cassandra Clare isn’t. I’m just saying.

My expectations weren’t that high by the way. I was just looking for a great adventure filled with good characters, emotional moments and a bit of love. And speaking of love, I was praying not to have a love triangle. But I’ll get to that later.

The beginning of Clockwork Prince is BORIIING! But hey I managed to get through it thinking that it’s just a prologue to the total awesomeness that everyone is talking about.

Guess what?

It isn’t.

The whole f*cking book is boring. Oooor… at least the percentage I managed to finish. I wasn’t skipping pages. Oooooh no, I was skipping chapters. Whole chapters full of useless blabbering. I even failed to identify the damn story. Should I check the summary to find it out or what?

Oooh and wait ‘till you hear this! The bad dude’s parents are dead and he blames it on the Shadowhunters. Not all people dress as bats and fight crime during the night after their parents got killed. Nu-huuuh. They go chasing young girls in order to marry them. In the name of science! That’s just creepy! He wants her for her powers. Bullsh*t, just ask Pedobear why he wants her.

Anyway my point is that this part of the story seems a weeee bit unoriginal. They’re looking for Mortmain for like 25% of the book and all of the sudden Jem gets a sudden, but silly, idea and what do you know? He was right. Next thing you know the damn Joker will be in the book killing people. Not that I would mind it or anything.

And speaking of unoriginal, am I the only one who thinks that this series is too similar to The Mortal Instruments? I know they’re related but it feels like the characters and plot have too many similarities.

But it could be just me.

Or not.

And another problem now.

I simply can’t get myself to like Tessa. I have no idea why and I won’t waste my time even trying to find a reason. I’ll leave it like that. Tessa meh, Jem meh, Will cool when he’s not too emo (obviously Cassandra Clare has a thing for tortured heroes), and Magnus yum when he’s not gay.

The nonexistent story meh, the villain meh.

I want more creepy contraptions running around killing people. I want more blood and suffering. I want less teenage drama. If I wanted teenage drama I’d turn on the TV on Thursdays and watch The Vampire Diaries. So please cut the crap.

And so we reach my final, and worst, problem. The love triangle. Probably every teenage girl’s wet dream is to have two hot guys fight over her. Freakin’ losers. I hate hate HATE love triangles and hate the stupid girls who love them even more. This was the thing that made me stop reading the book and the series as well.

So goodbye The Infernal Devices! Don’t let the door hit you in the ass.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Prince.

12/29/2011
20.0% "I'm still waiting for it to impress me" 4 comments
12/29/2011
27.0% "Ugh so difficult to read!" 2 comments
12/30/2011
35.0% "And now, of course, Will is emo. And he ran away. Nooooo!!! The drama!!! Make it stoooop!!! *skimming the rest of the chapter*"
41.0% "Ugh"
48.0% "I simply can't stand it" 5 comments

Dija Group read with you, me, and Aly?

message 2: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I don't know about Aly but I'm in :D

Dija Yay! I wanna get started on it next, if that's okay with you? That would mean tomorrow.

Aly is so frigging bored I don't know if I want to :D if we read it now, the next one is in friggin' NOVEMBER!

message 5: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I think I can manage it tomorrow

Dija That's great, Anzu. Let's see what Aly has to say.

message 7: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer She won't do it :)) I'm sure :))

Dija Yep, she didn't. But let's you and me start it today anyway, because I'm dying to find out what all the hype's about.

message 9: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Ooooook :D You saw all the five star reviews?? I hope it's really that good

message 10: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija I'm sure it will be. Really, I have yet to come across a negative review. :D

message 11: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I started it and it's not something super so far

message 12: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Same goes. But I really do hope Will doesn't turn out like Jace. Remember what a baby the latter was in Fallen Angels?

message 13: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Btw I see them pretty similar. Same as all her characters. Only I like Will better because he's funnier. But so far he's kinda turning emo :))

Samina ~ Escapism~ Not only did you shread the book but actaully stomped all over it and burned it too.
I am really looking forward to reading this series.

message 15: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Just read the first line, and that alone says it all. XD

message 16: by Dija (last edited Dec 31, 2011 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija You are so cruel, it's hilarious. XD Oh, and you forgot to add a "t" here:

I simply can’t get myself o like Tessa. :)

message 17: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I started to hate Cassandra Clare :/ I don't know if I can read her books anymore :/

Dee, I guess I'm the only person on Goodreads who gave it one start and dnf'd it looool

And thanks for the missing "t" :p

message 18: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija I like her writing style, even though I do think she should come up with different starring characters now.

For real? You're so unique, LOL. <3

message 19: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I think she found her "winning recipe" so she's getting too much money to trouble herself with new characters that might not bring that much income.

Aaaah it's either that or I'm a bitch :)))

message 20: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija That seems actually true for most YA authors, like another one I could mention...*coughRichelleMeadcough*

message 21: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Exactly!