Julie's Reviews > The Dead and the Gone

Apr 07, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, science-fiction, young-adult
Recommended to Julie by: I read book 1
Read from April 05 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Like book 1, this book really packed a punch. I had a hard time putting it down. The story of New York City was really compelling, even more so in its difference from that of rural Pennsylvania (an area much more similar to where I live). I liked seeing the contrast.

I had a harder time liking any of the characters in this book. I was rooting for them, no question... but Alex frequently rubbed me the wrong way with all his notions about how Real Men Don't Do Housework Or Learn How To Cook Macaroni. He also felt the need to keep a lot of things from various people.

Overall I felt that Alex made fairly good decisions, but a lot of things also fell into his lap by chance, and I wasn't as impressed with his survival instincts as I was by Miranda's mother in book 1.

I appreciated the author's sticking a line in specifically to say why Alex couldn't get into the other apartments in the building (triple locks and steel doors and all that), but I think I missed something - did Alex's father keep the apartment keys in a safe, or something? Why did Alex not have keys to them all?

The tension in this novel just kept ratcheting up right through the end. Now I really need book 3!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead and the Gone.

message 1: by Nan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nan his father didn't have everyday access to the keys. If a resident needed work done, the resident gave him the key (remember the apartment that needed painting?).

I don't know how realistic that is in NY. At my rural apartment complex, the office has a master key for every unit.

Julie Ahhhh, right, hence the keys in the envelopes.

Yeah, somehow I feel that he would have some master key somewhere for emergencies. My landlord has keys for them all too.