Lisa's Reviews > Eli the Good

Eli the Good by Silas House

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: adultfictionmalewriters, teenfiction
Read from April 07 to 10, 2011

A sweet nostalgic novel set in Kentucky (but pretty much could be anywhere in the Midwest/South where summers are steamy and humid).

Eli is 10 year old boy who spends a summer finding out what happened to father during the Vietnam War and how not be the best friend in the world to another kid. Characters are rich and real, I'm usually not a fan of nostalgic writing or "looking back" books...but Silas House has written this story so fine, I didn't mind the non-present day look. In fact, it was set similarly in my own childhood...remembering the Bicentennial party atmosphere on July 4, 1976. And I even imagined myself riding my bike alongside Eli while wearing my glittery "Wild and Crazy Gal" t-shirt down the roads with the gravelling smoke flying out from our back tires.

Although this book is marketed to younger teens...I think adults will like it best. (Cause I REALLY hated reading memoirs/nostalgia when I was a kid!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eli the Good.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth I don't think I knew that Silas House was writing for teens. He's a great writer.

Lisa My son Eli is reading it now and I asked him what he thought of it so far and he replied, "I don't get it. Any of it."

Which maybe because he's a tiny bit too young...or he's like me and doesn't like reflective novels as a kid.

message 2: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Yeah, I think Judy Blume was as reflective as I could stand as a kid.

message 1: by Lucia (new)

Lucia I enjoy reading Silas House. I think I like him most because he is a Kentucky author and I can hear his voice.