Krystl Louwagie's Reviews > Beastly

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Apr 14, 11

Read from April 07 to 14, 2011

This book was a lot of fun and I went through it pretty fast. It's a light, but entertaining read. I liked the meshing of modern day and fantasy (though, if written well, I'd have loved it leaning either way just fine, too-I do really like when fairy tales are used to tell a *completely* realistic story). Anyway, I did find the first half or 2/3rds of this book better than the last. Sadly, I think I found the mean Kyle more entertaining? And he got generally a little more boring and depressing (understandably, I suppose). Lindy was OK, but I didn't have much love for her. I felt like the beginning was more creative, with more possibilities, and the longer it went on, the more the author was boxed into keeping with the original Beauty and the Beast story.
I loved the idea of having more focus on the beast, he does have the more interesting story-well, other than being kidnapped by a beast, I guess that's pretty interesting.

To make up for the fact that I liked mean Kyle more than nice Kyle, my favorite guy was Will, who was nice but not really boring or depressed. I liked the witch, too, but I liked her best in the beginning of the story as well. After that she didn't do a whole lot of interesting things.
But I felt like it was just a tiny notch better than a lot of the YA novels I read, so it gets 4 stars. Now, if I can find a theater that's still playing it, and time to go. (Even though I'm pretty sure tattoos and scars make a guy even hotter, not a beast. Dumb.)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beastly.

04/10/2011 "I'm liking this. It's fun and entertaining."

Lacey Louwagie I had most of the same thoughts/feelings about this book as you, I was just a little less generous with the stars! Beastly is playing in the cheap theaters in Sioux Falls -- Ivan won't go with me. Maybe we should do a rat-shopping/movie-going excursion?