oliviasbooks's Reviews > Scrambled Eggs at Midnight

Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley

The contents and the language are very philosophical and very beautiful. So beautiful and deep indeed that they are - in my opinion - on the verge of suffocating the story. I felt like a person who loves honey but who can only really appreciate its sticky sweetness when it is set off against the sour solidness of a thick and grainy slice of bread. If you tend to muttering: "Nice simile, but now go on talking about the book instead of your feelings" at this point of my review, you are one of those fellow readers who would be on the way to feeling quite impatient (maybe bored) around page 100. I threw the towel at page 106. My inner ants were gnawing my insides already. Too many musings, too many detailed descriptions and dissections. But I know that there are armies of other "honey-lovers" who would embrace with glee exactly what keeps me from reading on. If you care to dig yourself through to the bottom of this barrel of molassy-language delight, you find a sweet - and maybe a little unbelievable - love-on-the-very-first-sight-story about two unique and very lonely fifteen-year-olds, each fitted out with a selfish parent I would like to smack hard and soundfully. I, on the other hand, go on searching elsewhere for another perfectly out-balanced piece of contemporary young adult fiction: Fragrant and flowing, but also chunky and real.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scrambled Eggs at Midnight.

05/03/2011 page 52
18.0% "Like it so far." 3 comments
05/04/2011 page 106
37.0% "I'll stop."

message 1: by oliviasbooks (last edited May 04, 2011 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks Nomes! If you pm me your address, I send my - already slightly battered - copy in your direction. Maybe you'd like it?

message 2: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Great review, Olivia!!

oliviasbooks Thank you, Tina!

message 4: by Nomes (new)

Nomes hey olivia ~ fab review and i love your metaphors in it (you have a way with words and with getting meaning across...)

thank you so much for the offer ~ it would prob be cheaper for me to buy this with free postage than for you to post to Australia. and, admittedly, it has been bumped down the list after your review, haha

(although i am grinning away here at your awesome and kind offer ~ the offer alone has made my day. thanks olivia :D)

oliviasbooks I wouldn't mind, Nomes. The German Post lowered lowered internatinal letter prices last year. So sending out a paperback became quite cheap.

message 6: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly Wonderful review for one that's unfinished! I might check this out when I'm needing some molasses in my diet! :)