Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Comfort Food

Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas

Adult review for taboo erotic content.

How do I describe this book without making it sound like run-of-the-mill erotica fare? There's only one way I can think of - if you're looking for a steamy, turn-you-on book, look somewhere else. Yes, there is explicit sexual content, but the sex is merely used as a tool to emphasize the power that "master" has over "servant."

Comfort Food takes us inside the life of a woman who has fallen victim to Stockholm Syndrome, but in this particular case, she chose her prison of dependency rather than being forced to live in a prison of solitude.

Considering this book is a work of fiction, it sometimes reads like a non-fiction, almost as if we're witnessing the personal account of a woman as she descends into her own personal hell and decides that she would rather have hell than heaven.

If delving deeper into the human mind and seeing what happens to people when they are pushed to their breaking point is something that would interest you, then I would highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort Food.

04/17/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leea How is it??

Stacia (the 2010 club) Haven't started it yet. I might go read for a few minutes before bed, but I'm not sure if I'll read this or Thorn Queen, since I just hit a good part in Thorn Queen.

Leea Well now that i've read your review I want to read the book. I love getting into peoples heads and human behavior is very interesting. Hot sex is just icing on the cake.

Wendy Darling Have you read Selena Kitt? She's definitely an envelope pusher, and her writing is very smart and pretty surprising. I mean, for the genre, anyway. ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I have not, I'll have to check her out. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Wendy Darling No problem. She's infamous for getting a couple of her titles banned from Amazon and B & N for certain topics.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Do you know what she was banned for?

Wendy Darling She wrote a couple of books that are incest themed that she now sells on her own website and Smashwords. This one, and then I can't remember the title of the other one.

Under Mr. Nolan's Bed by Selena Kitt

Wendy Darling PS--I just looked at her GR author page. I think it's hilarious she's reading Mockingjay!

message 10: by Dija (new)

Dija I wanna read this book after reading your review, but am sort of scared I won't be able to digest it. Is the ending happy?? Myabe if it is, I'll finally get the nerve to read it because I usually just need a little teeny-tiny push where serious books are concerned.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Have you read The Waiting Room? It is the same type of psychological/dark erotica feel as this book. In fact, I found Remittance Girl through Kitty Thomas's favorite author list and I'm hooked now.

message 12: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited May 07, 2011 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) GR notifications are really starting to bug me. This topic was marked to notify me and it hasn't been.

That is funny Wendy! I read both erotica and YA, but it still surprises me when I see an erotica author reading YA, and it really shouldn't!

Lazuline, The ending is not happy, but the ending is what the victim wanted if that makes sense. In her own way, she got the ending that she desired. Whether or not us the reader agrees with it or likes it, the main character decided for herself how she wanted her life to be.

Michelle, I have not read her, but will have to check the book out. Thanks. :)

Loederkoningin What do we have here? This one sounds like a gritty and interesting psychological experiment as well. Boy, am I glad to have you as a friend.:-)

message 14: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) I would call this book a maybe. I have experienced abuse, yet at the same time I am deeply interested in exploring the human mind, even the difficult dark parts.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It's hard to know if a book will be a bad trigger for someone. Even two different books dealing with the same subject can read completely different.

Stacia (the 2010 club) This book currently free on Amazon US. http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Food-eb...

message 17: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "This book currently free on Amazon US. http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Food-eb..."

Hmm, I'm in Canada, so that is probably why I'm not seeing the free version. Damn.

Louise This was my first taboo book last year, the cover was so enticing and the blurb seemed mild until I read it, I was thrown off guard by the whole plot and I love it. it was easy to read yet difficult to absorb what was happening:)
excellent review Stacia!:)

message 19: by Jena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jena Crawford Your review summed up everything I was thinking when I finished it as we'll lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) It messes with your head, doesn't it?

Thanks Louise btw. Never saw the comment. :(

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva There is nothing "easy" about reading this book. I would warn anyone who has lived through any sort of abuse, especially the kind sexual in nature, to stay far, far away.

I think the author did a fantastic job of making it all feel real! Great review, Stacia!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you Dhes. I completely agree.