Jenny's Reviews > The Madness of a Seduced Woman

The Madness of a Seduced Woman by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer

Aug 09, 07

Recommended for: distraught young women and women who are no longer in danger of being distraught

sort of a cautionary tale, I'd say, about throwing yourself into someone so much that you lose yourself. replete with lots of emotional outbursts and one of those old school abortions that took place on a dirty mattress long before Roe v. Wade. but the guy is a dick for sure, so you can really understand that he made her crazy.

if anyone has read this book and also Margaret Atwood's 'Alias Grace' they should tell me because I want to know how similar the plots are. when I read the book flap of the Atwood book while shirking duty at the bookstore where I work, I sort of wondered if Margaret Atwood might be pulling a fast one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of a Seduced Woman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ine (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ine Have to say that "Alias Grace" is much better written. Read it years ago and some scenes still stand out in my mind, whereas with this book I can barely remember the plot (read it a few months ago). Did like "The Madness" but would certainly recommend "Alias Grace" far more.

Julie Both titles would also be similar to An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser or Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I don't think Margaret Atwood was pulling a fast one, but instead very competently put new flesh on a timeless human story.

Marion They're both really great standalone reads. They do deal with similar material, but as Julie says, it's a timeless human story, and, for me, endlessly fasinating

Marion Fascinating (!)

Jenny Thanks, I will definitely read it!