Tina's Reviews > Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America

Candyfreak by Steve Almond

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: food, non-fiction
Read on April 06, 2011

I started this book the same day I started "Gluten-Free Girl". Gluten-Free Girl made me happy I didn't have celiac disease. And "Candyfreak" made me crave candy like there was no tomorrow. Dreamt about it. Remembered my favorites from childhood (really, college. Swedish Fish. Couldn't have made it through my fourth year without them. And Skittles. Chewy Spree, too. But I digress).

There are parts of the book that he could have left out. Like, I'm sorry he was depressed about the domestic politics going on at the time he was researching (and I use that term loosely, if you count salivating over small candy factory machines "research"), but don't bring me down. Just bring me more chocolate. I love Steve Almond's writing. Self-deprecating, funny and witty. An admitted freak. We all are, right?

I finished this book at 3am on Tuesday night and on Wednesday lunch I sauntered over to Cost Plus to find some retro candy. Clark Bars, Goldenberg Peanut Chews; Big Hunks ... I feel the need to try each one. But the only thing I grabbed, actually, was the Swedish Fish. I wanted to relive my younger days. Not the author's.

I do plan to read his other books. That's always a good sign that I liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Candyfreak.