Ed's Reviews > The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Go Get Pregnant

The Kid by Dan Savage

Feb 20, 2008

bookshelves: lgbtqi, books-i-own, memoir-biography, non-fiction
Read in April, 2008

As a huge supporter of gay adoption/gay rights in general, this book instantly appealed. Honestly, I enjoy that feeling of smugness I get from reading something I agree with.

I think a book like this should be required reading for all the 'crazy fundies' out there. If Dan seems preachy sometimes it's only because we live in a society which refuses to let go of the whole gay issue - their sexuality must be near the forefront of the minds of gays and lesbians practically all of the time. All he wants is to live his life and start a family with the man he loves, without worrying about discrimination and bigotry.

Dan and Terry's fears that no one would choose them to adopt their baby were touching. I know for a fact that if I ever got pregnant I'd make sure it was a gay couple adopting my child. This book made me feel that even more strongly.

This was an easy read, and very funny in parts. You'll find yourself wanting to pull quotes from it and throw them at your homophobic friends, should you have any.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kid.

02/28/2016 marked as: read