Derek Tatum's Reviews > Vampires, Werewolves & Demons

Vampires, Werewolves & Demons by Richard Noll

May 11, 11

bookshelves: werewolves, vampires, demons, psychology, non-fiction, vampire-non-fiction
I own a copy

Some of this went over my head because I am not a psychiatrist. Nevertheless, I am glad that I read it, as it gives some interesting perspectives on vampire, werewolf, and demon beliefs. The book is an "anthology" of sorts, as Noll has gathered a variety of case studies and reports together.

Due to personal interest, the vampire and werewolf sections were my favorite parts of the book. The vampire chapters were highly reminiscent of Theodore Sturgeon's classic "Some of Your Blood." It you like that book especially, "Vampires, Werewolves, and Demons" comes highly recommended. My favorite chapter in the demon section were the accounts of people who thought they were possessed after seeing the film "The Exorcist" in theaters!

Casual vampire fans might not get a lot out of this work, but people who want to dig a little deeper will find much of this book fascinating. It's a good work on how supernatural archetypes can affect the "real world."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampires, Werewolves & Demons.

04/21/2011 page 80
36.0% "I just finished the section on vampirism. Interesting, but brief. I wish the entire book was about vampirism; there may be more of a link between the psychiatric disorder and the archetype than I previously thought."
05/09/2011 page 137
61.0% "I just finished the section on psychiatric lycanthropy."
show 1 hidden update…