Kate's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Feb 20, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, age-ya, signed-copies, realistic, psychological, 2012
Read from June 04 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** 2/25/08
This had a very interesting premise: a high school boy, Clay, receives a set of 13 cassettes in the mail, recorded by a classmate who recently killed herself. On the tapes, she gives 13 reasons why she committed suicide, and is sending the tapes to the 13 people she considers the reasons. At first I thought it would be just another teen not taking responsibility for their actions. But throughout was the message that it is the build up of little things, a rumor, a chance you didn't take, that might eventually lead to someone becoming so depressed and alienated that they would consider suicide as an option. (view spoiler) It is a very compelling read--like Clay listening to the tapes, I felt like I had to read to the very end.

6/4/12-6/7/12 Teen Book Club re-read
I still found this to be a compelling book. I had forgotten most of the little details, that made it worthy of re-reading. I went to a book signing for Jay Asher a couple of years ago. He's a fun guy despite the dark subject of this book. One cool thing he did was have a girl from the audience read a short section of the book with him, so you could hear "Clay's" voice and "Hannah's" voice. It was really powerful and I imagine the audiobook would further give life to the story, seeing as how the story is told through audiotapes.

He signed my book with the phrase "Everything affects everything." That pretty much sums up the book and will hopefully make readers more aware of how their actions influence others, both positively and negatively.

I also discovered that on the back of the book jacket (the hardcover edition, obviously), is the map that Hannah gave to Clay to follow as he listens to the tapes. I liked being able to look at the map as I read the book and figure out what the phrases beside the red stars meant.
1 like · flag