readinghearts (Lyn M)'s Reviews > Netsuke

Netsuke by Rikki Ducornet

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: traveling-books, 2011, arc, borrowed, contemporary, read-for-review
Recommended to readinghearts (Lyn M) by: stb book
Read on April 12, 2011, read count: once

I have to say, I really couldn't decide at first what to give this book, but ending up deciding on 4 stars. This was a really interesting book, only 128 pages, and every one of them both appalled me and enthralled me at the same time. It is about a psychoanalyst who has a lot of erotic encounters, and frankly, needs a psychoanalyst himself. As I read through this book, I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pretty sure that I was watching someone's life turn into a train wreck. And the ending really stunned me.

I am giving it four stars mostly because as disgusted as I was by the main character, I couldn't stop reading the book. It was like a really bad reality show. You know, the kind that you know you shouldn't be giving legitimacy to by watching, but you just can't stop yourself. Since I am pretty easily turned off by graphic sex, the fact that I even finished this book surprised me, and I figure if a writer can get me to finish a book like this, he must be a good writer.

All in all a very weird, weird, little book. Did I enjoy it.....I wouldn't say that, but I will say I couldn't put it down.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Netsuke.

04/12/2011 page 28
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer How is this one?

readinghearts (Lyn M) I got it from my Traveling Book group. It is really small, but I haven't started it yet. I hear it is pretty gross, so I'm thinking I probably won't like it much, lol.

Naomi Boy, were you wrong, Lyn...I told you it was twisted!

readinghearts (Lyn M) You are and were so right about this book. I really thought I wasn't going to like it, and while I can't exactly say that I did LIKE it, I can say that it was enthralling. Glad I took the chance and read it.

And I have to say...Without you and the Sisterhood, I NEVER would have even given this book a look. So, once again, thanks!