Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship's Reviews > Assassin's Quest

Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb

I very rarely give only one star; it feels melodramatic, especially since I gave Royal Assassin five. But after the quality of the first two books in this trilogy, I was shocked and appalled by this one--and, what's worse, I was bored.

In this book, Fitz leaves Buckkeep and all of the other characters we've come to know and love over the first two books. He spends most of the 760-page book hiking across the continent, much of it alone, much of the rest with random throwaway characters who appear for the first time in this book (many of whom disappear after a couple chapters and proceed to have no more impact on the plot). It all feels like filler. When he finally meets up with other major characters, there's more walking, more filler... what happened to all the passion and intrigue of the first two books? It's hard to put my finger on what went wrong here. It feels as if the author just stopped caring. Even the writing became repetitive.

Then there's the end. It's just awful. Hobb leaves all the antagonists that have been wreaking havoc throughout the trilogy to be dealt with in the last 30 pages or so; inevitably, it's rushed. Not only that, it happens off-screen, in narrative summary. You thought after all this pain you'd actually get to see a final battle with the Red Ships, or Fitz assassinating Regal? Nope. The ending itself is decidedly bittersweet, but after this slog I no longer cared about the characters I'd been so emotionally attached to for the first two books, so it didn't really bother me.

I've tried to find some redeeming quality here, but honestly thought the book was hideous, and it definitely brings down my opinion of the trilogy. It's a shame because the first two books were so good... if only this had been a duology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Quest.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Thomas Just finished Assassin's Quest, and felt exactly the same way about the ending.

Markus Molina This review captures everything I felt perfectly...

message 3: by David (new)

David Trujillo I disagree with the review, esp. about the ending to the book, but I appreciate a different point of view.

Elizabeth You nailed it.

Patricia Hodge I'm 3/4 of the way through and struggling to finish because I am finding the same thing. She could have gotten her point across in half the words and it might have been more interesting. I keep waiting for something to actually happen. I'M BORED !!!

message 6: by Dia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dia Agreed. I still think book 2 was amazing and one of the best things I've ever read, this was a bit disappointing :(