Kavyen's Reviews > An Atlas of Impossible Longing

An Atlas of Impossible Longing by Anuradha Roy

U 50x66
Apr 06, 2011

Read in April, 2011

The story was enjoyable. Of course there were no earth shattering events or extreme drama but it was the story of a normal family. A busy dad Amulya, his wife Kananbala so affected by loneliness that she almost goes insane, the eldest daughter-in-law Manjula who yearns to have a child of her own, the youngest son and archaeologist by profession Nirmal, Bakul his daughter and the almost adopted child of the family Mukunda. I enjoyed that the book was essentially 3 stories written as if they were a sequel. There were phases in the book where nothing exciting happened but if you understand the essence of the tale that is being told than you will enjoy it nevertheless.

Each of the characters were unique and most of them were flawed which added a touch of extreme reality to the events. Kamal’s wife Manjula’s; longing to be a mother is understated and is the character we least connect with in terms of emotions. Meera is like-able and I missed her at the end of part 2 when she leaves to live with her brother’s family.

I enjoyed reading this book and loved how the author manages to portray the characters and events so realistically. Rated a 4 on 5. Here is a mild warning; if you do not enjoy reading family dramas than this book may not be for you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Atlas of Impossible Longing.