Michelle's Reviews > Fang Me

Fang Me by Parker Blue

Apr 22, 11

Read from April 06 to 09, 2011

Whereas Bite Me and Try Me were fun and wonderfully tongue-in-cheek, Fang Me takes a turn for the serious as Val now has to determine on which path her future lies. Is her whole identity wrapped up in the idea of her as a slayer, with supernatural strength, speed and healing abilities or is it as a part-lust demon? For Val, she has to make the choice, and this crossroads takes some of the fun out of the story.

To me, the fun is the story. When Fang and Val are bantering back and forth, these are some of the best moments of the novels. I wasn't looking for a "loss of virginity comes with serious, life-altering consequences" storyline, as I can get that in almost any other paranormal romance story, both on and off television. To me, Fang Me commits the action about which I warned readers in my review of Try Me; it takes itself too seriously. The consequence of this is that spark that made the first two so enjoyable and light-hearted is now gone.

This underlying seriousness is felt in all aspects of the novel, from Fang's interactions with Val, to her interactions with Dan and Shade, and even her relationships with the vampire and demon factions. The entire novel suffers as a result. Rather than rapidly reading because I want to devour the novel, as I did with the first two, I ended up rapidly skimming just so I could get to the end of the story. I was even disheartened to discover that Ms. Blue is working on a fourth Demon Underground novel. This is not the end result one wants to experience when reading, and it is doubly unfortunate because the first two novels were so fun.

Unfortunately, I do feel that Val's story has run its course. No amount of snark can help overcome a story that takes itself too seriously when it is not meant to be so. Once it started dealing with the issue of fate and destiny, Fang Me became too earnest and did not continue its inherent playfulness which made the first two stories so enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fang Me.

04/07/2011