Mara's Reviews > Save My Soul

Save My Soul by Zoe Winters

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: supernatural, romance, favorites, this-heroine-was-awesome
Recommended to Mara by: Mrs. Giggles
Recommended for: PNR fans looking for something fresh and a bit different
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

I read Ms. Winters' novella collection, and found her stories interesting and well done, so I was naturally curious as to what she could do with a full-length book. She didn't disappoint, and I can honestly say that this sophomore (I'm assuming) effort is superior to its predecessor.

This book features a very unusual romance, and I should warn you, there are things that for some may be a deal-breaker.

The hero, Luc, is an incubus, which is a kind of sex demon. He needs to feed regularly, or else he involuntarily kills his victims by taking too much energy, which is why he can't feed from the same person all the time. A couple of decades ago, he fell in love with a witch, and out of jealousy she cast a spell on him, making him unable to leave her house so that he would never feed on someone else.

Enter Anna, the latest owner of this sort-of-haunted house. It takes her some time to face the reality - yes, there is an invisible entity living in her house. But things only get more interesting as the story progresses.

Ms. Winters sure knows how to pace her story, I was on the edge of my seat due to twists and turns. The characters are fully-realized, three-dimensional, and behave like actual people/demons. Anna, in particular, stood out for me as a character due to her smarts and practicality - and here we come to the above-mentioned deal-breaker (for some people): (view spoiler) I thought this was incredibly brave of Ms. Winters to write - it is too realistic in a way. Personally, I didn't think this crossed the invisible line, for simple reason that it was Anna's decision to go that route, in order to give them all more time to break the spell on the house and Luc. Instead of putting her fingers in her ears and going lalalalalalalalala, she took charge of the situation and tried to protect herself and others. I admire that in a person, and especially in a romance heroine.

Finally, even though it's not exactly complex, I though the world-building was well-done. There were no info dumps, and holding the reader by hand.

I'm looking forward to Ms. Winters' next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save My Soul.