Yvonne Boag's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: fantasy

Shades of Grey by Japer Fforde is a very different novel from what I expected. Set in a world 500 years from now but somehow in the 1950's it is a world where everything is defined by colour. Status, work and who you can marry is all about what colour you can see. Every other colour is just shades of grey. So much is lost in this future world. The main protagonist, Eddie gets a tour of an empty library and is shown where the books used to be. Paintings are valued, the artists are remembered but the titles are not.

"On the wall opposite me hung the Caravaggio, and it was every bit as spectacular as the pictures I had seen. ...the drapes above the scene of Frowny Girl Removing Beardy's Head were in a most spectacular shade of crimson, which counterpointed the spurt of arterial blood, also a vivid red. I stared at the large canvas for a few minutes, breathless with the consummate skill of the painter, the fine subtlety of light and shade, and wishing that for just a few minutes I could see more than just red."

So what is it like? Just imagine if Douglas Adams had written 1984. Loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.