Sheila's Reviews > Breath of Angel

Breath of Angel by Karyn Henley

2039269
Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: christian, coming-of-age, paranormal, relationships, romance, scifi-fantasy, young-adult
Read in April, 2011

My husband saw me reading Karyn Henley’s Breath of Angel and asked why not breath of an angel, or breath of angels, or “Is the girl called Angel?” There is a girl on the cover, but she’s called Melaia. The angels, shape-shifters, myths and legends don’t come till after she’s witnessed a cruel murder and assigned herself the task of caring for the corpse.

Karyn Henley creates a rich world of myth and legend and introduces it beautifully, Melaia telling the story she knows then gradually peeling through layers to get at the truth. Melaia is a chantress, and there’s music in the words. There are beautiful undertones of faith and mystery too, leaving the reader peeling through layers of our own tales while reading hers.

These angels serve an ultimate being and long to climb the stairway back to heaven and to other worlds. But the sacred tree has been destroyed and many sacrifices might be needed to achieve its restoration. “Breath of angel, blood of man,” might involve Melaia’s blood or possibly that of the handsome stranger she finds herself falling for despite her doubts and his inconsistency.

Breath of Angel is the first of The Angeleon Circle and I find myself wondering how many books make a circle. The novel finishes at a logical stopping point and leaves the reader satisfied, but there’s so much more to learn, so much still to be done. I hope we don’t have too long to wait for book two.

Disclosure: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breath of Angel.