Laura 's Reviews > Twenty Boy Summer

2195602
Feb 16, 15

bookshelves: 2011, best-of-2011, loved-it-lived-it-miss-it, my-library
Read in April, 2011

Ok, so recently, I've read some really good books. I mean really good and the ones I've read are ones that everyone has said you simply MUST read when exploring the YA genre. Not the latest new release, or upcoming title or what-not, but the ones that if you don't read them, you'll always be missing a little piece of yourself and you will never even know it. This is one of those books.

Anna has loved Matt, her "best-friend-that's-a-boy" for years. Since her tenth birthday, she has blown out the candles on her cake with the same wish every time and this time, it came true. Matt kissed her. The love and romance that followed was all anyone could ever wish for. It was perfect, save for the fact that they have been keeping their relationship a secret from Matt's sister Frankie, Anna's best friend, until the time is right to break it to her that the trio has split into something more. But before they can bring their relationship to light, Matt dies and in the aftermath that follows, Anna can't bring herself to add any more emotion to a devastated friend and her family. The story is her struggle with Matt's loss, in secret, with no one ever knowing that she has lost the love of her life and it's absolutely heart breaking.

I'm utterly amazed at Ms. Ockler's skill. Her writing is sharp, witty, and her capacity for capturing the raw and abrasive nature of grief, majestic. This story is no picnic. Despite it's flippant title and seemingly harmless storyline of two girls playing a silly summer game, the story hurts from beginning to end. That said, it's not one to depress the hell out of you as in reading it, you heal along with the story.

I loved this book and it's one I'll read again. And again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Boy Summer.

Quotes Laura Liked

Sarah Ockler
“Every story is part of a whole, entire life, you know? Happy and sad and tragic and whatever, but an entire life. And books let you know them.”
Sarah Ockler, Twenty Boy Summer