Emma's Reviews > The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore

The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale

Apr 06, 11

Read in March, 2011

First, I want to express my surprise: I read a lot about this book before its publication; it was published about 2 months ago, and I no longer see anything recent said about it, or book blogging about it. It sounds as if it were very quickly dropped.

I am very surprised, as this book is phenomenal; ok let’s put aside what may gross you out, and yes the first sexual graphic scene between Bruno and Lydia is not the best passage of the book.

The writing is fantastic, it’s incredible how the author tried to put himself in the shoes of a chimp and think and write from there; it probably does not make too much sense, but it will as soon as you open the book. It is an incredible reflection actually on what makes you human, and all that makes you human; in that sense, I do believe the sexual encounter needed to be there somehow. I loved very much all that had to do with the importance of language, and the thought process related tot it.
Incidentally, it was also fun following some scenes in Chicago.

The author is a graduate of the Iowa Writers Workshop, and just before this book I read All Is Forgotten, Nothing Is Lost, written by Lan Samantha CHANG, who directs this same University of Iowa Writers’ Workshop. What a team of great writers!

EXCERPTS

“All real learning, all education is self-motivated. Teaching helps, yes, but teaching students by force, by pushing, is as good as preaching a sermon to a congregation of stones. It is a notably obscene crime of our language that ‘educate’ is not an intransitive verb.”
p.270

“In the beginning was word. A word, or the word? Just word, my son, this was a time long before definite articles.”
p. 299

See my original review here: http://wordsandpeace.wordpress.com/20...
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore.