Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > The Archived

The Archived by Victoria Schwab

I was patrolling Netgalley a week ago when I noticed a sneak peek for THE ARCHIVED by Victoria Schwab was available to read, and I quickly downloaded it for my Kindle. Fast-forward a few hours, and I was done, left both completely fascinated by the story and very upset that it is not January 22nd yet. But, while the release date may not be here yet, these are some reasons why THE ARCHIVED is high on my wishlist, and why this story should be on your wishlist too:

Great Main Character
THE ARCHIVED features a strong and smart heroine with its narrator, Mackenzie. She's not quite like other YA protagonists, but I like that about her. Being a Keeper makes her unique from other bookish heroines, and I'm hopeful she'll continue being awesome as the story progresses.

Interesting Narrative
There's (1) a main, present day narrative and (2) brief recollections of Da (Mackenzie's grandfather), and the latter proves itself to be very gripping. Sometimes little interruptions in narrations can be frustrating, but trust me when I say these ones will only make you want to keep reading.

Strong Emotions / Writing
Mac and her family are still dealing with a death in the family, so emotions are a bit high-strung. Also, there's the fact that Mac's a bit more sensitive to emotions because she's a Keeper. Schwab manages to get these emotions to come across to the reader. I felt for these characters, related to them, and understood them. I just hope there will be some growth.

Excellent Worldbuilding
I was worried that the concept for this story wouldn't be fully realized and fleshed out, but I had no reason to worry whatsoever. Schwab expertly lays the groundwork for what it is to be a Keeper, what Histories are, and gives tantalizing glimpses into the Archive and the Narrows, giving just enough info at the right moments. Schwab seems to be developing this story slowly, so I'm sure there will be even more to learn throughout the entire novel.

Multiple Mysteries
There are a few mysteries floating around in this story, and I'm curious to see what Schwab does with them.

Wesley
He is a very intriguing young man....This sneak peek left off at an interesting point with him.

It Will Likely Get Even Better
I'm just guessing, but it seems like a strong possibility that this book will be fantastic. You can't go wrong with a fascinating concept and a great protagonist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Archived.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books) I saw it on Netgalley too, but didn't grab it because I was worried it would just make me too impatient!

Lea (YA Book Queen) Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books) wrote: "I saw it on Netgalley too, but didn't grab it because I was worried it would just make me too impatient!"

That was probably a smart idea, because I know I'm very, very eager for January to hurry up and arrive ;)