Emma's Reviews > Drought

Drought by Pam Bachorz

Apr 06, 11

Drought is not one of the best books that I have read lately. There were some serious crises in world-building, character development and plotting. I was so disappointed. :(
Ruby is an engaging and likable protagonist. She does seem to know the difference between right and wrong, and she rebels against this society that she is a part of. When I first picked this book up, I thought it was going to be a dystopian - not the case - and was kind of confused as to why the entire situation was happening in the first place. The Congregants hold the power - the blood that makes regular water into Water, life-giving and wound-healing. I couldn't understand why they would allow Darwin to be in control. It's the basis for a shaky plot.
I had no clear picture of this world. All I knew was that it took place in the woods, with a cult, trapped in some kind of strange slavery situation. Pam Bachorz kind of dropped the ball on this. We learn very little about the history of the Congregation and precious little about Otto. It makes it hard to believe in, or relate to any of the things that are going on. Why do they believe in Otto? Why do they think he will come back? I was confused!
Ruby was wonderful in her own way, she did have to deal with some horrible people though. Her mother has no redeeming qualities. She wants to keep Ruby in this little, shut-in life. I don't understand why, or how, Ruby tolerates it all. She just lays down and takes it. I did not like that.
My rating: 2 out of 5 - not as amazing as I had hoped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drought.