Lauren Fidler's Reviews > After You

After You by Julie Buxbaum

2072335
could someone please explain how i have managed to pick the saddest chick lit books this week? seriously! i cried no less than five times (residual pregnancy hormones, i swear)reading this one. another precocious little girl who reminds me of fiona, i fear.

the premise: ellie, a sharon-ite, moves to london (why is it always london, btw???) when her best friend becomes the victim of a senselessly brutal murder that her 8-yr-old daughter witnesses. her marriage is falling apart, partly because of the move, partly because of a stillbirth, and the whole lot of survivors are generally FUBARed.

oh, then there is some healing.

i have to say, this book gets four stars (it's really 3.5 but i'm rounding up) for chapter 20something when greg tells off the smarmy schoolmarm. i laughed out loud. hell, if i could have, i would have fist-bumped greg. yes, yes i would have.

this is a quiet, slow exploration of grief. i love that it highlights the importance of books to some people (and a character who can remember what they were reading at various points in their lives, which is oddly comforting if not slightly manufactured in tone here). i love that they read "the secret garden" which is a book i found to be particularly soothing as a young girl (especially when i didn't feel like i fit in with anyone outside of my bloodline). i love the ambiguity of the title, and i love sophie.

that's all i got for today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After You.

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess dude, if when you describe it you use words such as "grief" and "senselessly brutal murder" it's not a chick lit book. I don't care what the cover says.

Lauren Fidler but it had a chick on the cover!!!

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess And what should we not judge a book by, my dear? At least read the dust jacket first!

Also, that chick looked sad. Warning bell...

Lauren Fidler oh right. i have no idea how it ended up in my library stack. it was just there. i think i thought it was a mystery...or at least a "bostonian girl goes to london, finds herself, finds a man with or without brogue"....but it just wasn't.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess See, always read the back cover! Or look them up on your phone! :)

Lauren Fidler my phone doesn't have that kind of juice.

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess :( You could always just follow my rule of thumb and avoid normal modern "fiction" completely and stick to historical and fantasy... :)

Lauren Fidler true dat. but i'm a sucker for those stupid stephanie plums!

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess Then you're just gonna have to put in the research ahead of time. Or put some work into your amazon book recs and get them to the point where they actually reflect your interests...

Or, you know, read the dust jacket... :P

Lauren Fidler it was a library impulse "purchase" - it looked good when i skimmed the back! and it was good - just sad as fuck!

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess I miss the library. Damn my overdue fees! And thank god for used books.